Everyone loves the classic dish ‘Chicken & Waffles’. Step up this beloved classic with a blast of BESTO Hot Honey. This is guaranteed to become your favorite version of this delicious meal.
Whether it is for breakfast, brunch, or any meal; chicken and waffles has become a quintessential American dish with its roots deep in southern soul food cuisine. It’s the perfect pairing of two delicious meals. Who doesn’t love the crispy taste of soulful and savory homemade fried chicken? And who doesn’t love the taste of sweet and fluffy waffles? And the addition of BESTO Hot Honey turns the familiar in to a one-of-a-kind taste experience that you won’t soon forget.
The origins of this uniquely delectable pairing can be traced back to the early 20th century in Los Angels, California. The dish shortly thereafter found it’s way to being served in the African-American community of Harlem, New York during the 1930s. Fried chicken and waffles regained popularity in the 1970s with Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles in Los Angeles, which was started by former Harlem resident Herb Hudson.
This recipe is fairly simple. We have elected to soak our chicken in buttermilk overnight to give it a juicy texture that won’t be dried out by the frying process. You can opt out of this step if you are looking to save time or cook this meal in a pinch. An uncomplicated coating of flour, salt, and pepper make the perfect crust on the chicken. Use your favorite waffle mix to create the perfect bed on which to rest your savory sweet chicken.
Traditionally, chicken and waffles is served topped with maple syrup. We are going to replace common breakfast syrup with the undeniable flavor of BESTO Hot Honey. BESTO Hot Honey has the perfect flavor for this disk. The combination of honey, cayenne, cilantro and lime provide the ideal flavor profile to highlight the best parts of fluffy waffles topped with juicy fried chicken. The honey provides the recognizable sweetness of syrup. And the cayenne punctuates each bite with a bit of spice that livens up the dish. Lime and cilantro contribute to brightening each bite.
BESTO Hot Honey Chicken & Waffles
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp BESTO Hot Honey Original or Smoke flavor
- olive oil for frying (you can use any kind of oil)
Prepare the chicken
- Soak chicken in buttermilk over night
- Next day drain chicken and toss with flour, baking powder, salt, and black pepper mix.
- Pan fry chicken in oil.
- After frying, place the chicken on to a paper towel to drain oil.
- Toss chicken in a bowl of BESTO Hot Honey sauce.
Prepare the waffles
- For the waffles you can use your favorite instant waffle mix or your favorite homemade recipe.
Plate the dish
- Place the chicken over your waffles.
- Drizzle your dish with more Besto and top with chopped scallions.